Keep Empties out of Landfills
Monday, April 08, 2013
“People don’t realize the impact that printer cartridges have on the environment,” said Tom McLaughlin, Marketing Director of Cartridge World. “In North America alone, more than 350 million cartridges are discarded in landfills per year. Cartridge World offers an alternative that is earth-friendly and cost-effective. We recycle more than 4.5 million printer cartridges annually. Plus, each Cartridge World customer saves up to 30 percent off the cost of the equivalent OEM cartridge at a big box store.”
The following statistics shed light on the impact of printer cartridges on the environment:
- Alone, HP ships more than 52 million printers per year. Most consumers buy three to four ink cartridges three times per year for their printer at home, which produces 600 million empty cartridges.
- Almost eight printer cartridges are thrown away per second in the United States.
- It takes about a gallon of oil to make a new laser cartridge.
- Every laser cartridge that Cartridge World remanufactures saves nearly 2.5 pounds of metal & plastic waste from being deposited in landfills.
- Seventy percent of used printer cartridges throughout the world are currently discarded.
- A laser cartridge thrown into landfill can take up to 450 years to decompose. Some components made of industrial grade plastics will take over 1,000 years to decompose.
To help reduce our carbon footprint, Cartridge World offers recycling programs for local organizations, schools, businesses and consumers.
Parents, teachers and office managers are encouraged to request a “recycle” box for their school or office to collect empty cartridges. Parents can further participate in a printer cartridge recycling and fundraising program in which they can raise money for their local participating school by dropping off empty cartridges at the school. In exchange for the empty cartridges, Cartridge World will pay the school based on the quantity collected.
Customers may recycle their empty ink and toner cartridges at any Cartridge World store. Some Cartridge World stores also accept small electronics recycling, such as cell phones.
In addition, Cartridge World’s 100-percent guaranteed printer cartridges save consumers and businesses up to 30 percent on their printing costs. Cartridge World sells more than 3,000 different cartridges for home and office printers, copier and fax machines. Customers can take advantage of a variety of local store promotions, such as a “Buy Nine Get One Free” discount card.
With more than 1,400 stores across the globe, Cartridge World is the world’s largest specialty retailer of ink and toner printer cartridges. For more information about Cartridge World’s eco-friendly products, visit your local Cartridge World store or www.CartridgeWorld.com. To learn how much your home or business can save on office printing costs, visit your local store or Cartridge World’s online savings calculator.