What To Do When You Need To Print From Your Mobile Device
Friday March 17, 2017
Demand for smartphones, tablets and iPads are passing up laptops and desktops as more people are on the go these days. The devices are smaller, thinner and lighter to carry around. But, consumers still find a need to print from these devices, whether it’s various documents, emails or photos. Thanks to the prevalence of wireless networks around the globe, it’s easy to do.
According to a Cartridge World survey, “What Keeps You Printing?” 32 percent of respondents said they print from their smartphones, 16 percent from their tablets and 13 percent from their iPads.
Many of these device users are utilizing Google Cloud Print, an app that connects printers to the web enabling users to print from almost anywhere in the world. Here’s how to print using your printer and a cloud-ready printer, according to tech education website Lifewire.com:
Printing from Most Mobile Devices
- Connect your printer to Google Cloud Print (if you don’t have a cloud-ready printer see below). Cloud-ready printers connect directly to the Google Cloud Print service on your home or office’s wireless network.
- Open the document you want to print in Gmail Mobile
- Choose “Print” from the menu
- Highlight the printer from the list if there’s more than one printer
- Change the printing options if desired
- Tap “Print”
Connecting a Printer to Google Cloud Print
- Make sure your browser is supported by Google Cloud Print. Google Chrome 9 or later under Windows and Mac OS X is compatible. If using Windows XP, install Microsoft XPS Essentials Pack first.
- Click the menu icon on Google Chrome
- Select “Settings”
- Click “Show Advanced Settings”
- Click “Manage” under Google Cloud Print
- Click “Add Printers”
- Check all the printers you would like to enable
- Click “Add Printer”
Printing from iPhones and iPads
Printing from Apple devices, such as an iPhone or iPad, which uses AirPrint, is a little more involved unless you own an AirPrint-enabled printer. You will need to purchase a printing app if you own a non-AirPrint printer. Two of the more popular apps are Printer Pro and Print Central Pro. To print from your iPhone or iPad to your non-AirPrint printer:
- Tap the “Share” button
- Choose “Open In…”
- You should see a menu of apps. Choose either Printer Pro or PrintCentral Pro to send the document to the app and begin the printing process.
We are here to help with local, friendly advice. Our experienced and impartial staff will take the time to understand your printing needs and recommend the right printer and supplies for you. Find a Cartridge World store near you.